The first time you leave baby
It’s scary! Will baby be OK? Can you really leave baby? Will baby like the baby sitter? The answer is yes, and sometimes you just need a break. If you are lucky then you can have a member of the family baby sit for your little one the first time. It probably is a good idea that this is an adult and not your neighbours teenage son or daughter. They will be great for later down the line, but baby sitting a baby is an art. You need to know that the sitter knows their stuff! A good sitter will calm down the parents, push you out the door, telling you that all will be fine – and it will!
When you use a sitting service
But not every one has family to rely one, or it is just too difficult. So then it is a good idea to use a reputable agency. There are loads out there. You can find the best ones for your area through your online parent’s networks such as Mumsnet or Netmums.
- Make sure they are reputable. They need to be officially registered and be able and willing to share all their credentials. You can go away and check them yourself.
- Have your own selection criteria for an agency. You know what you want when it comes to taking care of your little ones. You’ll find an agency that you feel comfortable. I am a strong believer in listening to your instincts and this goes double when looking for childcare.
- Check reviews and feedback. Every site and every sitter will have reviews and feedback ratings for you to read. Read these so you know as mush as you can about the person who is going to take care of your little one while you are busy doing whatever you need to do
- Be honest about who you are and what your family is like. Some sitters are very good with little ones but not so good with older kids. Some are great with pets. To make sure the sitter you chose is the best fit for you and your family be as open and accurate in the make up of your family as is safe. You don’t ned to share personal information. A brief description helps to avoid awkward silences on the doorstep – and these muck up all those well laid plans!
- Pay fairly. These people are taking care of the most precious part of your world. A good sitter will keep the kids happy, making you feel safe. This is why they need paying fairly. You can then build a consistent relationship with a sitter who can help in emergencies, when you aren’t well, are really busy or just need a break.
Getting and giving feedback
It is always good to know that you have made the sitter feel welcome and comfortable looking after your little ones. They feedback on you. If you don’t treat the well then you may struggle to get a good sitter next time.
At the same time you need to give feedback on them. Let them know (usually via the agency site) what went well and what, if anything, could be better next time. It also helps to get feedback from the kids. If they also liked the sitter then you can make them one of your favourites. This means next time you get kids who are as excited that you are going out as you are. It’s much better to get ready with happy kids than for you to be hoping the tears don’t mess up your outfit!
And so go enjoy yourself!
We all need to sometimes